Facts of Ruby Programming and Ruby on Rails Framework
Ruby is a dynamic, open source and object-oriented programming language with a focus on simplicity and productivity. Ruby was initially designed and developed by Yukihiro Matsumoto in Japan during mid-1990. Ruby has an elegant syntax that is easily readble and writable. Syntex of Ruby is very similar to Perl. It is also based on Smalltalk, Eiffel, Ada, and Lisp.
Technical talk of Ruby :
It is a strong Object oriented programming language which also has single inheritance as in Java. It also provides us with the feature called as mixins. Using mixins we can easily import methods from multiple classes using modules.
Ruby on Rails, famously shortened to Rails or RoR is a powerful, open source, full-stack web application framework for the Ruby programming language. It is using Model-View-Controller structure (MVC architecture) and famous for developing database intensive web applications. Ruby on Rails was extracted by David Heinemeier Hansson from his work on Basecamp, a project management tool by 37signals (now a web application company).
Main Features of Ruby on Rails :
- It is Based on Ruby – Ruby is a very powerful programming language.
- Implements MVC Framework – Rail is actually a Model-View-Controller framework for Ruby.
- Reflection and Discovery – Rails use intelligent reflection and discovery to automatically map relational database tables to Ruby objects.
- Less Coding – Due to lot of inbuilt functionality, Rails require lesser amount of code to implement the business logic.
- Automated Operations – Rails can automatically generate CRUD (Create, Retrieve, Update and Delete) code for the applications.
- Simplified Testing – Rails includes a Rake (Ruby Make) script that will automatically run all unit tests. Apart from this, Strict MVC architecture naturally gives result in testable actions and components.
Framework structure – Ruby on Rails is separated into various packages, namely ActiveRecord (an object-relational mapping system for database access), ActiveResource (provides web services), ActionPack, ActiveSupport and ActionMailer. Prior to version 2.0, Rails also included the Action Web Service package that is now replaced by Active Resource. Apart from standard packages, developers can make plugins to extend existing packages.
As Ruby on rails is an Object oriented, open source framework and free to be implemented by everyone. This is the reason why Ruby on Rails has acquired a significant position in programming.
To know more about programming , php info , php editor , programming php,Open-source, php help and php script , subscribe to our feed by entering email address below. You will get updates via email about every tutorial posted on this site . It will not take more than a sec.